Best places to work in the UK 2016
For over 15 years companies across the UK have been striving to be the Sunday Times best places to work in order to attract skilled employees, and keep them loyal and engaged in their brands. Below is a list of companies that have been exclusively accredited the prestigous Sunday Times Best company to work for award in 2016. The lists have been seperated into 5 categories which are Big Companies, Medium sized companies, Small companies, non profit organisations, and the best housing associations.
Top 10 Big UK employers
Top 10 Mid sized UK employers
Top 10 Non profit UK employers
Top 10 Housing Association UK employers
What makes Inchcape a Great Workplace
What makes Inchcape top the list of the best workplace to work in the UK? It could be down to over 77% of the 5,417 employees applaud a culture of outstanding management who truly live company values. You would certainly think the impressive benefits is a main key factor, however the employees are more impressed with the small-team feel within their retail centres which makes this workplace environment happy and engaged.
Inchcape's Key Workplace Factors
- My Manager Factor :- All senior managers at Inchcape benefit from the iLead program which encourages 360 degree feedback from their teams, with the results feeding into a Personal Development Plan. Learning solutions are available, and talent is constantly assessed and recognised internally to allow future leaders to grow and shine.
- Personal Growth Factor : - A internal Learning & Development team is assigned to regularly visit sites across the UK to coach employees as well as training the team members on leadership behaviours and work related skills. The introduction of iLearn, a learning management system, enables employees to have access to online and classroom-based learning to help personal development and growth.
- Wellbeing Factor : - Health and wellbeing is promoted in the workplace through a benefit called Health Shield which helps colleagues cover the cost of everyday healthcare needs such as dentist and optician trips to other wellbeing therapies such as reiki, reflexology and sports massages.
Why Simply Business is a Great Work place
The main hub of the company is based in a modern open-plan London space, however some of the workforce live abroad, or have the option of working remotely from home. They also use 'Google hangout' for meetings, along with enjoying complementary meals with their Chief Executive when he is in the area. Simply Business decided to change the culture of the organisation by putting their employees first, instead of customers, abiding by the statement "Customers only come first if our employees are happy and doing a good job."
Simply Business's key Workplace Factors
- Leadership Factor :- Engagement is encouraged on a personal and professional level by teams arranging lunches with other teams across the business. Senior management members are approachable by siting within employee teams in the main office. Innovation and ideas are proactively encouraged with all employees treated on a equal level.
- My Manager Factor :- A Simply Business Leadership Network initiative has been integrated within the organisation to identify groups of high potential managers. The initiative helps develop leadership opportunities within the organisation to help employees work towards their goals and endorse company values. This investment ensures development for top performers and paves the way for the next layer of management.
- Personal Growth factor :- Learning and personal development is encouraged through investment of training and education. Time off along with funding for studying and revision is offered to all staff. An initiative called Level Up organises sessions to encourage employee knowledge and skill sharing including product and UX design, Investments, robot mechanics, phone apps and even magic for beginners. This collaborative culture is driven by making sure people have time to pursue personal development, which engages staff by encouraging skill sharing.